Monday, April 11, 2011

It's brand new day

Monday Monday, so good to me,

Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be

Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee

That Monday evening you would still be here with me.

Monday Monday, can't trust that day,

Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way

Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be

Oh Monday Monday, how you could leave and not take me.

These are the lyrics from a Momas and Papas song. No, not a huge fan. It just happened to coincide with what I am thinking about today.

I know that Sunday is beginning of the week. However, I think that it feels like an ending rather than a beginning. Monday is the day that marks a new week for me. And how do I view this day? It is usually a time for reflection. Time spent thinking about how the last week affected my life. Are there things I would change if I could?

I suppose there are always things you would change. And at the same time there are moments that we would choose to relive over and over. We don’t get to do either, however. So we think, we ponder, we contemplate, we decide or we waver. I know that some things are in my control and much is beyond me. But still, I sit and consider all of it.

Monday can be a time for anticipation or trepidation. It can be time spent thinking about what the next week will bring to your life. What are you looking forward to? What are you possibly dreading? How will decisions you make this week change its outcome? What will you work to accomplish?

We might focus on things we have ahead of us. Things on our to-do list. This could include working on things quite simple like pull-ups and ring dips, or getting caught up on laundry, paying bills, etc. Or it could include something much more challenging -- like surviving skate night with your children. If you don’t think this belongs on the “more challenging” list, I would ask you when was the last time you’ve navigated a minefield of elementary children littering the roller rink, just waiting to be run over. . . Or you could be competing in the CrossFit Opens, or tackling 30 muscle-ups for time. It can be anything really. Categorize how you will. If it’s going on in your world, it feels either important or impending.

However you decide to spend your Monday, think about this. . . If the path of your life can be altered by a single moment – would it not be prudent to take the time to consider what will occur over the course of an entire week?

No comments:

Post a Comment