Monday, March 1, 2010

Go ahead, let it out

I am a crier. I cry for so many reasons. The obvious is sadness. But I also cry out of frustration. I cry when I am happy, when I am touched, when I am joyful. I cry when I am scared. I cry when I am very tired. Or in pain. I don’t think this makes me a weak person, I think crying is an emotional release, granted, my very common emotional release.

Some may tear-up more often than others, but everyone cries. There is not one person who is immune to the feeling of tears welling up in their eyes only to have them roll down their cheeks – sometimes taking a trail of mascara with them. Tears are like a window to your heart. It’s hard to pretend that you’re “fine” with wet streaks down your cheeks. Or the tell-tale puffy eyes that follow a good cry.

But let’s face it, sometimes you would really prefer to be able to keep your emotions controlled. You’d think this desire would make it easy. Unfortunately, it’s not for me. Sometimes I try to tell myself, “I will not cry.” And then I do. I once cried at the school because Stella was suffering from separation anxiety and I was forced to walk away from her while she was sobbing. I think the women in the office didn’t quite know what to say to me. They wanted to console me, I am sure, but I also know that I made them uncomfortable. That’s just one example of wishing I could turn off these tears of mine at will.

Crying makes others feel helpless. That’s because people in general don’t like seeing someone who is visibly distressed. We also have a tendency to want to say the right thing when someone is crying. We want to fix the problem. Because just watching someone cry without trying to fix the problem makes us feel rather powerless. We want to make someone stop crying. That’s our goal. Stop crying so we can believe that you’re better.

My neighbor’s cat died yesterday. She was crying. I wanted to do all the things I just discussed. But she was just sad. And there wasn’t a thing in the world that I could say or do that would make her feel better. Most times we can’t control our own tears, let alone the tears of others. Sometimes people just need to get it all out. Until they are done.

This brings me to a couple of conclusions. First, I need to stop telling my daughters to “stop crying” several times a day. They most obviously get it from me. Second, I will apologize ahead of time for crying in your presence – making you uncomfortable, and leaving you wanting to fix the problem – because I am certain it will happen at some point.

Hello, my name is Lori, and I am a Cry Baby.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am right there with ya on this one! I am a bawl baby. Sometime during my pregnancy with my first, I had a major hormonal shift, and I will now cry over ANYTHING. I cry when I'm happy, mad, or sad. I cry during arguments now. It's awful. But, I'm getting used to it. I think the husband is too. Which is good, considering he has two daughters that are growing up. I'm sure there will be MUCH more crying for years to come. And no, you can't always fix it. Sometimes all you need is a good cry. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say Cry,cry,cry! Let it all out. Feel all of your emotions-- whatever they are. Then dry your eyes and cheeks, get the mascara cleaned up and move along. Things usually look and feel better after you have no more tears left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no crying aloud. Gotta suck it up, in my book. Well, only until someone says, "are you okay?" then, watch out. You may see tears swelling. I did a 10 mile run last week with severe lactic acid built up prior. I was convinced that if I just got out there and sucked it up, the lactic acid would loosen and dissipate. Needless to say, I suffered the last 3 miles, wanted my mommy, but didn't cry! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete